[JPL] Next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Feb 21 09:16:02 EST 2008

The debut of Steve Khan’s new one and a rare, live performance of Joe Zawinul’s WEATHER UPDATE with Steve on guitar…An hour with The Yellowjackets on Monday…Funky stuff with Michelle Sammartino all week long and the newest monthly chart revealed with Mark Ruffin on The MOJA Report this weekend!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (25 February-2 March, 2008)

This Monday, February 25th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most popular groups in modern jazz history, THE YELLOWJACKETS! You’ll get the mojo behind the music from The Jackets themselves as in their own words they tell the stories that shed light on their career that spans over a quarter of a century as we give you a full hour of some of the ‘JACKETS’ finest work. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we feature THE YELLOWJACKETS on XM 72, Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.   Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eas tern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle goes nasty, funky  with a tune from Don Byron, goes old school with a fusion classic from Brian Auger's Oblivion Express, goes live with Maceo Parker's newest work and then tops it off with some of that rare fusion work she just dug up by Jimi Hendrix.

This week, we answer the question…”what did Joe Zawinul do after the final breakup of Weather Report?”… as we present WEATHER UPDATE LIVE 1986! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 7 PM Eastern/4 PM Pacific spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, we’ll take you back to the year 1986 to Philharmonic Hall in Munich, Germany where Joe Zawinul had assembled a band he called Weather Update including Steve Khan on Guitar, Victor Bailey on Bass and Peter Erskine on drums to continue the work he’d done with the fusion supergroup Weather Report.  Steve Khan himself will join us to tell us what it was like to play that night in the band that followed in the footsteps of Weather Report. It’s WEATHER UPDATE LIVE 1986, this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eas tern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective. Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark gives us the highlights of the top 20 from the new Beyond Jazz chart for the month and tells you how you can get a copy of the chart yourself.

This Saturday, March 1st,  Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” we call “STEVE KHAN: HAVE GUITAR, WILL TRAVEL.” Russ Davis invites you to join him as we spend the day catching up with one of the most unique and prolific guitarists in jazz today who stops by our Lincoln Center studios to bring a copy of his brand new double-disc live release “The Suitcase.” You’ll hear the world premier of this new work which features great live performances of some of his most famous songs, recorded in Koln, Germany during his 1994 tour with bassist  Anthony Jackson, and drummer Dennis Chambers. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) with conversation followed by a cut from Steve’s great new release.  It’s “STEVE KHAN: HAVE GUITAR, WILL TRAVEL,” on this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour res ponding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.