[JPL] Record Collection Fetches $3M on Ebay

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 22 08:05:35 EST 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-ODD-Record-Collection.html?_r=1&oref=s
login

February 22, 2008
Record Collection Fetches $3M on EBay

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 5:59 a.m. ET

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- A man says he can now retire because someone bought his
massive record collection on eBay for the asking price -- $3 million.

A buyer from Ireland agreed to shell out $3,002,150 for the collection of
nearly 3 million vinyl albums, singles and CDs, owner Paul Mawhinney said
Thursday.

The winning bidder has already deposited $300,000, and a bank has confirmed
that he has enough money to buy the collection, Mawhinney said.

The price tag is one of the highest recorded by eBay Inc., said Karen Bard,
a spokeswoman for the online auctioneer. A Gulfstream II jet once sold for
$4.9 million, she said.

On Thursday, the 68-year-old Mawhinney closed Record Rama, which opened in
Ross Township in 1968. He said he wants to spend time with his wife, three
children and five grandchildren.

''I am legally blind. I had a couple of strokes a few years ago ... and it's
time at my age to think about doing something else with my life,'' he said.

The collection includes more than 1 million albums, 1.5 million singles and
300,000 CDs, Mawhinney said.

------

On the Net:

Record Rama: http://www.thegreatestmusiccollection.com

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press
Privacy Policy Search Corrections RSS First Look Help Contact Us Work for Us
Site Map