[JPL] JzFmS4 WGBH Boston 2/22/08

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Feb 23 00:01:31 EST 2008

Jazz From Studio Four
Friday, Feb 22, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

CELEBRATING AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH: THE TENOR SAXOPHONISTS
SPECIAL FEATURE on JIMMY GREENE (b. 2/24/1975)

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Jimmy Greene: Forever, Gifts and Givers (Criss Cross)
Insight/The Curtis Brothers; featuring Jimmy Greene: Necessity,
A Genisis (Curtis Brothers Music)
Ben Riley; featuring Jimmy Greene: Bemsha Swing, Memories of T (Concord)

8:32pm
Branford Marsalis; Ellis Marsalis: Cochise (Cherokee),
Live @ Jordan Hall; Boston, MA 3/10/1996 (ONLY ON 89.7)
Donal Fox; John Stubblefield: Here's One,
Live @ Scullers Jazz Club, Boston,MA 6/10/1992 (ONLY ON 89.7)
Archie Shepp; Horace Parlan: Go Down Moses, Goin' Home (Steeplechase)
Johnny Griffin; Martial Solal: Come With Me, In & Out (Dreyfus)

9:00pm
Jimmy Greene: My Ideal, True Life Stories (Criss Cross)
Ralph Peterson; featuring Jimmy Greene: Respect For Truth,
Tests of Time (Criss Cross)
Jimmy Greene: No Doubt, Introducing Jimmy Greene (Criss Cross)

9:20pm
Leon "Chu" Berry: Body and Soul, Chu Berry 1937-1941 (Classics)
Jimmy Forrest: You Go To My Head, All The Gin is Gone (Delmark)
Von Freeman: If I Should Lose You, The Improvisor (Premonition)
Coleman Hawkins: Body and Soul, Body and Soul (RCA Bluebird)

9:46pm
Claudio Roditi; featuring jimmy Greene: Bye Bye Blackbird,
Double Standards (Reservoir)
John Lamkin; featuring Jimmy Greene: Brother Lamkin,
Live for WGBH Studio One, Boston, MA 2/25/1997 (ONLY ON 89.7)

10:06pm
David Murray: Sarah's Lament, Ballads (DIW Records)
Lucky Thompson: There's No You, Modern Jazz Group (Gitanes Universal)
John Coltrane: Angel Eyes, Like Sonny (Roulette)
Dexter Gordon: Cry Me A River, Dexter Blows Hot and Cool (Dootone)

10:30pm
Horace Silver; featuring Jimmy Greene: Satisfaction Guaranteed,
Jazz Has A Sense of Humor (Verve)
Jimmy Greene: Mr McLean, Brave New World (RCA Victor)
Louis Smith; featuring Jimmy Greene: Room 1426, Soon (Steeplechase)

10:55pm
Ron Blake: Of Kindred Souls, Shayari (Shy-ree) (Mack Avenue)
Sam Yahel ; featuring Joshua Redman: Truth and Beauty,
Truth and Beauty (Origin)
Wayne Escoffery: Isfahan, Veneration (Savant)

11:18pm
Jimmy Greene: Come Sunday, Forever (Criss Cross)
Steve Davis; featuring Jimmy Greene: Choicecs, Meant To Be (Criss Cross)
Jimmy Greene: Re-Affirmation, True Life Stories (Criss Cross)

11:41pm
Eddie Harris: What's New,
Live @ Scullers Jazz Club, Boston, MA. 2/27/1993 (ONLY ON 89.7)
Houston Person: Black Coffee, Thinking of You (HighNote)

11:56pm
Jimmy Greene: Here's That Rainy Day, Jam Session Volume 9 (Steeplechase)

Only on 89.7! performances and recordings are exclusive WGBH Radio
productions and are not commercially available.