[JPL] My 25th anniversary on-air

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 11:30:51 EST 2008

Congratulations! I have a 25th anniversary coming up on March 1st --
that first program featured Henry Threadgill's Sextet playing "When
Was That?" which was originally titled "Fanfare and Celebration,"
while Fletcher Henderson's Orchestra was heard on The Jazz
Retrospective.

To celebrate this year we've applied for a grant, and are confident in
receiving it, via the Holland Area Arts Council to present a series of
5 live radio broadcasts with an emphasis on Michigan based jazz
musicians. The series is heavy: Geri Allen, Robert Hurst (both former
Blue Lakers), the Gebhard Ullmann-Steve Swell Quartet featuring Barry
Altschul, Evidence which is a local hard bop band and Phil Olgivie's
Rhythm Kings with pianist James Dapogny, a 10 piece band playing later
King Oliver and Jelly Roll Morton big band music as well as early
Ellington.

25! Congrats again.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio