[JPL] My 25th anniversary on-air

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 23 13:10:24 EST 2008

Lazaro,

  Congratulations on 25 years! I remember listening to Blue Lake Radio back in the early days - I believe that was the first time I'd heard Coltrane's "Ascension" - imagine the guts it took to put that on the air. My only face to face meeting with you took place around that time, too, at a party in East Lansing. Keep up the good work!

  Mike Stratton

Lazaro Vega <wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: Pacific Coast Jazz

Two new Pacific Coast Jazz albums are in stores now and on radio:

Roberta Donnay's ''What's Your Story'' - ''...a major new find... highly recommended'' with 5 albums behind her and Orrin Keepnews by her side, this album is destined for a Grammy. She performs across the nation and in Europe. www.robertadonnay.com

The Bruce Eskovitz Jazz Orchestra's ''Invitation'' to you is to listen and capture this ''...hard swinging, straight-ahead, good-time modern jazz.'' This CD release party is at The Jazz Bakery in LA on February 17. www.bruceeskovitz.com

Radio promo by New World 'N' Jazz, Neal Sapper, 415-453-1558 & Matt Hughes, 732-835-5050. Label: Pacific Coast Jazz, 858-484-8609 Email donna at pacificcoastjazz.com check out all of our artists at www.pacificcoastjazz.com

Pacific Coast Jazz wishes all of our friends a great 2008.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Congratulations! I have a 25th anniversary coming up on March 1st --
that first program featured Henry Threadgill's Sextet playing "When
Was That?" which was originally titled "Fanfare and Celebration,"
while Fletcher Henderson's Orchestra was heard on The Jazz
Retrospective.

To celebrate this year we've applied for a grant, and are confident in
receiving it, via the Holland Area Arts Council to present a series of
5 live radio broadcasts with an emphasis on Michigan based jazz
musicians. The series is heavy: Geri Allen, Robert Hurst (both former
Blue Lakers), the Gebhard Ullmann-Steve Swell Quartet featuring Barry
Altschul, Evidence which is a local hard bop band and Phil Olgivie's
Rhythm Kings with pianist James Dapogny, a 10 piece band playing later
King Oliver and Jelly Roll Morton big band music as well as early
Ellington.

25! Congrats again.

Lazaro Vega
Blue Lake Public Radio