[JPL] My 25th anniversary on-air

Lazaro Vega wblv.wblu.fm at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 16:42:11 EST 2008

Len,

Will do. This is our third time working with this band. They were in
Grand Rapids last April right before Barry had a reunion record date
with Anthony Braxton and that live concert with Sam Rivers Trio
(Rivers, Dave Holland, Barry). Two years ago they appeared live on
Blue Lake, though it was after a 10 hour drive and they were pooped.
This band has grown by leaps and Steve Swell is one of the most
formidiable trombonists in improvised music today.

Mike -- with WEMU, WCMU and WDET, not to mention Hazen Schumacher at
WUOM and Doug Collar (my early mentor) at WKAR, we have many great,
personality oriented radio station's programming jazz. Two years ago
we broadcast OrkestRova's "Electric Ascension" to continue the thread.
Was dissapointed Ben Ratliff didn't even mention that concert or
recording in his recent Coltrane book.

I'm just fortunate that Blue Lake is fully mission driven and that
mission is music. Looking forward to Bill McFarlin's arrival (or
return) and the impact that will have on jazz in the area.

25 years! Lenny way to go!