[JPL] Playlist: Black History Month Special - One Man's Jazz CKUW Winnipeg

Maurice Hogue onemansjazz at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 23 22:08:23 EST 2008

This is the playlist for One Man's Jazz on CKUW Winnipeg for February 23
2008, recogniIng Black History Month, one of probably very few radio
programs in Winnipeg to do so.  This was a three-hour long "tone poem" of
music, sounds,
spoken word and aural images.

Hour One

Leon Thomas * Leon Thomas (Flying Groove) * The Creator Has A Master Plan
(excerpt)
Max Roach & Abbey Lincoln * We Insist! Freedom Now Suite (Candid) * All Africa
Kamau Daa'ood * Leimert Park (MAMA) * Ancestral Echoes
Archie Shepp * The Cry of My People (Impulse) * African Drum Suite Part 2
(excerpt)
Four pieces about Slavery - spoken word -*  Every Tone A Testimony
(Smithsonian Folkways)
Rahsaan Roland Kirk * Volunteered Slavery (Atlantic) * Volunteered Slavery
Bertha Chippie Hill * Berthat Chippie Hill 1925 - 1929
(Document)   *   Hard Time Blues
Jay McShann & His Orch. * Jay McShann & His Orch. Selected Favourites Vol 1
* Hootie Blues
Charlie Parker * The Complete Savoy & Dial Master Takes (Savoy Jazz) *
Parker's Mood
Langston Hughes/Charles Mingus/Leonard Feather * Weary Blues (Verve) *
tracks with  Mingus

Hour Two

Shirley LeFlore   *   Po' Jazz (Jazz Jaunts) * I Am A Black Woman
Nina Simone    *   Wild Is The Wind (Phillips) * Four Women
Billie Holiday   * Ken Burns Jazz (Verve)   *   Strange Fruit
Ornette Coleman * The Shape of Jazz To Come (Atlantic) * Lonely Woman
Muddy Waters * The Muddy Waters Anthology 1947-1972 (Geffen) * I Feel Like
Going Home
Otis Redding * Definitive Soul - Otis Redding (Rhino) * Change Is Gonna Come
Langston Hughes * I've Known Rivers" from The Voice of Langston Hughes
(Smithsonian Folkways).
SNCC Singers * Sing For Freedom (Smithsonian Folkways) * Ain't Gonna Let
Nobody Turn Me Around
Archie Shepp *  JazzSpeak -New Alliance *   Malcolm, Malcolm, Semper Malcolm
Malcolm X -- Spoken word piece
Bobby Seale * Black Panther Party platform from Every Tone A Testimony
(Smithsonian Folkways)
Marvin Gaye * What's Going On (Motown) * What's Going On
New York Art Quartet with Amiri Bakara * 35th Reunion (DIW) * Seek Light At
Once               (excerpt)
John Carter * Fields (Gramavision) * Ballad to Po' Ben
The Last Poets * The Last Poets (Fuel) * When The Revolution Comes

Hour Three

Don Byron * The Tuskegee Experiments (Elektra) * Tuskegee Eperiments (
David Murray Black Saint Quartet * Sacred Ground (Justin Time) * Sacred Ground
Kali Z. Fasteau & Kidd Jordan * People of the Ninth (Flying Note) * Right
of Return
with excerpts from personal stories of residents of New Orleans found at
             www.transom.org/shows/2006
William Parker & Raining On The moon * Corn Meal Dance (Aum Fidelity) *
Tutsi Orphans
Ikwunga with Mr. Something Something * Deep Sleep (World)   * Di Bombs
Nicole Mitchell & Black Earth Society * Afrika Rising (Dream Time) *
Peaceful Village Town
Ben Okri  from his "Mental Fight"-  Denys Baptiste's Let Freedom Ring - Dune
Donny Hathaway * Everything Is Everything (Atco) * Thank You Master (For My
Soul)
B Sharp Jazz Quartet * Searching For The One  - MAMA * The Spirit of Jazz Today
A Dream Deferred from "Langston (Hughes) in Harlem" - unknown vocalist
William Parker   * Raining On The Moon (Thirsty Ear) * Raining On The Moon
Leela James * A Change Is Gonna Come (Warner Bros.) *   A Change Is Gonna Come
Barrack Obama soundbye
Someday We'll All Be Free - from the soundtrack of Malcolm X (Qwest),
featuring Aretha Franklin.

Maurice Hogue