[JPL] Ascension/My 25th anniversary on-air

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 25 15:39:44 EST 2008

Re: Ascension. I usually listen to this at least once a year, sometimes more, and have even played all or part of it on the air from time to time. When I heard the music the very first time, it was with my ex-brother-in-law/jazz drummer Pete Siers. We were sitting on a porch looking out over darkened Lake Michigan late at night and this music came on. He asked me, "What do you see in this music?" We were both kind of dumb founded. I answered, "Horses in flames." I still get that image every time I hear it, though I don't think it was Trane's intention.

  Mike Stratton

David Kunian <dkunian at bellsouth.net> wrote:
  This week's sponsor: JazzWeek Summit, June 19-21, 2008:

Registration and info at http://summit.jazzweek.com/ -- Early bird registration through March 30

Every year around Easter I do my Jazz Lunatique show on WWOZ in New
Orleans where I play both Coltrane versions of Ascension and then do
both Rova versions. Don "Big Moose" Jamison of WWOZ used to play
Ascension every Easter and since his passing I feel it is my duty to
continue this. What beautiful powerful music to elevate and ecstaticize
the soul!