[JPL] Next week on XM 72-Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 09:34:32 EST 2008

It doesn’t get any bigger than this!!!!  A week of celebration of the RETURN TO FOREVER RETURNS 2008 tour, Roy Haynes’ upcoming birthday, Frank Zappa, new jazzy-jamband stuff on Jammin’ Jazz with Michelle and much, much more!  Spread the word ya’ll!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
(((XM))) SATELLiTE RADiO
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (3-9 March, 2008)

This Monday, March 3rd, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of the great musical visionary, FRANK ZAPPA. You’ll get the mojo behind the music from two jazz greats who worked with Zappa, Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke and you’ll hear Zappa’s unique vision of modern jazz from the great composer, guitarist, bandleader and innovator who carved out his own special place in music history. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s FRANK ZAPPA!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION hosted by Michelle Sammartino.  Michelle says if you listen to the show you’ll get music with that "jamband" jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' feel that ya just can't hear anywhere else. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. It’s JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION with Michelle Sammartino! This week, Michelle serves up the cream of the crop from Medeski, Scofield, Martin & Wood, Karl Denson, Robert Walter, Galactic and Stanton Moore as well as some old school from Tower of Power and new stuff from that young lion of the Jazzy Jambands, Marco Benevento and another new discovery, the group known as Generic Hustle.

This week it’s RETURN TO FOREVER LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll travel around the world to hear some classic RTF live performances from the past to give you a taste of what they’ll sound like when they hit the stages of North America and Europe for the history-making Return To Forever Returns 2008 tour. You’ll hear some of their classics like The Shadow Of Lo, After The Cosmic Rain and Bass Folk Song live, just to get you a little more fired up to hear what they might sound like when  they hit your town. Then, we’ll follow that with some great live solo performances by each one of The Fab Four of Fusion. It’s RETURN TO FOREVER LIVE on this week’s edition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

It’s a special focus on FRANK ZAPPA, on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. This Friday, we’ll celebrate the contribution of one of the most unique and brilliant musical visionaries whose contribution to fusion was immense, probably under-appreciated and greater than even Frank himself acknowledged. Listen for one of his fusion classics to begin each hour from at 7 AM-Midnight Eastern, that’s 4 AM-9 PM Pacific. It’s FRANK ZAPPA, on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN!” Join award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin as he covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark wishes a very happy 83rd birthday to the legendary Roy Haynes as he gives you portions of the interview he and Russ Davis conducted with Roy at his recent in-store appearance at New York’s Time-Warner Center to celebrate the new anthology box set “A Life In Time: The Roy Haynes Story.”

On Saturday, March 8th, Beyond Jazz presents another edition of “WORDS & MUSIC” as we focus on one of the greatest bands in jazz history with a special presentation we call “RETURN TO FOREVER RETURNS.” Russ Davis traveled to Los Angeles recently to spend the day at the legendary Mad Hatter Studios talking to Chick Corea, Lenny White, Al Di Meola and Stanley Clarke.  Listen in as the guys prepare for THE event of the year, The Return To Forever Returns World Tour.  Not only is it a look back at a bright and shining moment in the history of Fusion and 20th century music in general, but a look to the future as the guys rehearsed and recorded for the first time in 25 years in preparation for the reunion tour by this incredible supergroup. It all starts at Noon and lasts through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific) as we begin each hour with conversation with The Fab Four Of Fusion followed by classic RTF music.  It’s “RETURN TO FOREVER RETURNS,” the theme of this week’s edition of “WORDS & MUSIC.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

New music featured on PREMIER SUNDAY…from 5-6 PM Eastern/2-3 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour playing cuts from the newest releases added to the Beyond Jazz playlist and this week we’ll feature the following…Michel Petrucciani-Trio Live In Stuttgart (Dreyfus)…Marcus Miller-Marcus (Concord)…Fahir Atakoglu-Istanbul In Blue (Far&Here)…Charles Lloyd-Rabo De Nube (ECM)…Ibrahim Electric-Absinthe (Stunt Records).