[JPL] Buddy Miles

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 10:53:59 EST 2008

Yep, I know, this doesn't have much to do with jazz but man...he was part of some classic musical adventures. I've had great times listening to Buddy Miles. Bless you brother...

  Buddy Miles  9/5/1947 – 2/26/2008

Legendary Drummer Buddy Miles  passed away this Tuesday, peacefully at his home
in Austin, TX. He was (60) sixty years old. He suffered from congestive heart
failure but the official cause of death is not known.

Buddy performed with some of the greatest names in music including Stevie
Wonder, Muddy Waters, Michael Bloomfield, Wilson Pickett, Stephen Stills, Neil
Young, David Crosby, Jack Bruce, Eric Burden, Peter Torque, Billy Gibbons,
Prince, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmy Vaughan, Rick James, Kool and the Gang, Jr.
Brown, Ike Turner, Pinetop Perkins, Jr. Wells, Koko Taylor, Johnny Taylor, Barry
White, Aretha Franklin, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Carlos Santana, Robert
Lockwood, Jr., Billy Cox, David Bowie and others.

Buddy Miles recorded over 70 albums and performed in numerous world tours,
television commercials and videos. He is best known for his work with Jimi
Hendrix and bass player Billy Cox in Band of Gypsys.

Band of Gypsys recorded one album appropriately titled “Band of Gypsys” in 1970
at Fillmore East in New York. Two of the songs on the album were written by
Miles. ("We Gotta Live Together" and "Changes”).

In lieu of flowers; the family has asked to please make donations to the Jazz
Foundation of America specifically in Buddy Miles' name to assist with funeral,
and other expenses at www.jazzfoundation.org ; The Jazz Foundation of America,
at 322 West 48th Street, New York, NY, 10036, Attn.: Amy Cusma.
  .AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; }