[JPL] Would like your opinion from Micele Grey

Jim Wilke jwilke123 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 28 12:06:36 EST 2008

Micele, do you mean accidently, as in forgetting the lyrics momentarily
- or purposely like pretending to forget the lyrics as part of the act
- or purposely as in creating or ad libbing new lyrics?
Unintentionally singing the wrong words of a standard on a record is
just poor research or ignorance.  I've heard only a few examples of
this and the singer is usually very embarrassed when it's out there for
everyone to hear again and again.  And listeners familiar with
standards repertoire will immediately recognize wrong words in a lyric.

Sarah used to forget lyrics in performance on occasion and with her it
seemed to be a charming flub from someone who was so vocally perfect
otherwise.  On the other hand, someone who pretended to forget as part
of the act would be unacceptable to me.  But someone who creates new
lyrics based on an instrumental solo (vocalise) is a high form of the
art of lyric writing and delivery... Jon Hendricks, Kurt Elling and
Giacomo Gates being prime examples.   Meredith d'Ambrosio who composes
paraphrases - both new melody and lyric on standard changes - is pretty
much in a special class by herself.

Jim Wilke
Jazz After Hours, PRI
www.jazzafterhours.org