[JPL] Would like your opinion from Micele Grey

Jackson, Bobby Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org
Thu Feb 28 13:22:21 EST 2008

I've heard Dexter Gordon say that instrumentalists should also know the
lyric to a song to properly interpret it.  It's valuable inside
information about the tune.

The worst example of an interpretation of a song I've heard is R & B
vocalist Will Downing's interpretation of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme."
It basically talked about a guy who just met this girl and they're
having so much fun together they have A Love Supreme, A Love Supreme...
I spoke with him about it years ago and he had no idea that it was a
humble prayer to God offered by Trane.  Words do mean something and they
do have power.

Bobby Jackson
WCPN/Cleveland, OH