[JPL] Would like your opinion from Micele Grey

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Feb 28 20:56:17 EST 2008

Like anything, it can be done well or not.  It depends on the way it is
done, how creative and how hip.  Plus everyone has a different idea about
lyrics.  Cole Porter has some tunes that can sound dated, but I just love
the lyrics to "You're the Top", even the dated ones and I hate when they are
changed.  Nnenna Freelon expanded on Nature Boy, and that had its merits
especially since the song is so short.  I'd say I prefer an expansion to a
specific change to bring something into the present and even then, you have
to consider you are adding to Cole Porter or Gershwin.  That's not an easy
place to be.
I am STILL not used to vocalists who sing the boy from Ipanema, and my
feathers ruffle a little but I know it is generally accepted.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
KJZZ Phoenix
Streaming at kjzz.org