[JPL] Portland Jazz Festival Returns This February

Mark Rini mark at groovmarketing.com
Wed Oct 1 18:00:57 EDT 2008

SWEET MUSIC: THE JAZZ IS ON!

Alaska Airlines, Portland Community Leaders Step Up
To Keep Portland Jazz Festival Flying High

Alaska Airlines has agreed to a multi-year title sponsorship of the Portland
Jazz Festival, providing the financial support necessary to revive the
world-class festival, which had announced in early September that it was
ceasing operations after five years.

Alaska Airlines' sponsorship investment arrives on the heels of a commitment
for community & operational support from a committee led by Portland City
Commissioner Nick Fish, businessman Sho Dozono and Travel Portland.

The corporate and organizational support ensures that the 6th Annual Alaska
Airlines Portland Jazz Festival presented by The Oregonian A&E will take
place, as scheduled, February 13-22, 2009.  The festival will be dedicated
to the 70 anniversary of Blue Note Records, as previously announced. "Alaska
Airlines is pleased to sponsor the Portland Jazz Festival," said Steve
Jarvis, Alaska Airlines vice president of marketing sales and customer
experience. "Portland is home to many customers and employees of Alaska
Airlines, and Horizon Air, and we're happy to help showcase great artists
and their music through this important community event." Jarvis noted that
Alaska Airlines stepped in as a sponsor allowing the popular event to
continue for its sixth year.

Spearheaded by a new advisory committee led by Fish and Dozono, Portland
Jazz Festival has already acquired additional corporate support from U.S.
Bank, Precision Castparts Corporation and several other individuals and
businesses.  Qwest, the Festival's title sponsor for five seasons, will
continue its tremendous support of the Festival with a new funding pledge
from its national foundation.

These partners join Oregonian A&E, Travel Portland, the Portland Trail
Blazers, Rogue Ales, Music Millennium, Azumano Travel, Amtrak, NW Natural,
Enterprise Rent-A-Car, and numerous downtown hotels in support of the
Festival.

"Portland is a great jazz town and there was no way we were going to let
this festival go without exhausting every means," Fish said. "The commitment
made by Alaska Airlines is a remarkable gift for jazz lovers. Their support,
and that of several area businesses and individuals like Sho Dozono, allows
us to continue to grow a festival that attracts some of the world's top jazz
talent and attracts thousands of visitors to Portland every year."

The Festival is in the process of hiring a new managing director and hoping
to announce the hire soon. In the interim, Festival co-founder Sarah Bailen
Smith has returned to assist the organization's administrative transition.

"It's important to me that the Portland Jazz Festival continue in this
community, so I am committed to its sustainability," Smith said. "I'm
obviously not alone. I've been astonished at how incredibly supportive this
community has been since our announcement. Portland recognizes the value of
the arts. It makes me proud to live here."

Founded by Smith and artistic director Bill Royston in 2003, the Portland
Jazz Festival has become one of the country's top jazz showcases, attracting
musicians and visitors from around the world.

The 2008 Festival featured 150 separate events over 10 days, attracting an
estimated 36,000 patrons and 2,000 hotel room night sales through its unique
cultural tourism promotions.

Last June, Portland Jazz Festival was named as one of the top 5 jazz events
by the Jazz Journalists Association.  In addition to presenting such
renowned headliners as Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins, Chick Corea, and
Dianne Reeves, Portland Jazz Festival produces over 100 performances
annually featuring regional Portland artists through the weekly PDX Jazz @
RiverPlace series at the RiverPlace Hotel, the formation of the Portland
Jazz Orchestra as the resident ensemble of the Portland Jazz Festival, and
programming at such community events as Street of Dreams and River Fest.

In addition to corporate funding, the Portland Jazz Festival is supported by
grants from National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), Oregon Arts Commission,
Western Arts Federation (WESTAF), Paul Allen Family Foundation, and the
Renaissance Foundation.

For more information, please contact:

Don Lucoff at DL Media
(p) 610-667-0501 (e) don at jazzpublicity.com