[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 10:16:33 EDT 2008

Come join us in a Brave, Cool World!

Russ Davis

Program Director

Beyond Jazz

33 West 60th Street

10th Floor

New York, NY 10023

russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (6-12 October 2008)

This Monday, October 6th, is another birthday celebration as we present another edition of our feature MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the most celebrated bassists, composers and bandleaders in modern jazz, DAVE HOLLAND who celebrates his 62nd birthday on October 1st. During the hour you’ll hear the work of Dave’s solo work as well as his many, collaborations with the likes of Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Miles Davis and others. Plus Dave will give us a look at his tremendous career in his own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great DAVE HOLLAND on MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific. This week Michelle gives us a show that features some of the artists who helped define the jazzy side of the jambands.  You’ll hear Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield, Karl Denson & Galactic. Plus Michelle gives you a couple of her own discoveries…the Spencer Garn Organ Trio & Sexto Sol!

Some of the greatest jazz in history has been recorded live and that goes for today.  There have been a ton of new releases lately featuring great live performances and so twice this week, join us for ALL NEW…ALL LIVE on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll give you the latest from Kenny Garrett, Chico Hamilton, Richard Bona, The James Taylor Quartet, Herbie Hancock and Marcus Miller…ALL NEW…ALL LIVE on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

It seems that back in the 1960’s & 1970’s there was a little confusion in the jazz world as two great keyboardists were very popular and they just happened to have the same name.  So this week we’ll put the spotlight of LONNIE SMITH…BOTH OF THEM, on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!  Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Well, this Friday’s we’ll finally clear up the confusion between the work of organ master Dr. Lonnie Smith (who lent his talents to sessions with George Benson, Lou Donaldson, Stanley Turrentine and others), and keyboardist/pianist Lonnie Liston Smith (who went solo in 1973 after working with Miles Davis, Pharoah Sanders, Rahsaan Roland Kirk and others). Recently we dug up a bunch of their tunes we’ve never played for you before so each hour beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific you’ll hear a classic fusion piece featuring either The Good Doctor, or Lonnie Liston. It’s a LONNIE SMITH…BOTH OF THEM on this week’s edition of IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION!

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN” as award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN,” and on this week’s edition Mark proves he’s a child of the ‘70’s by serving up a second edition of “Mark’s Favorite Fusion” featuring George Duke, Billy Cobham, Patrice Rushen, (pronounced like Russian) Weather Report & Donald Byrd.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on this Saturday, October 11th, we'll spend the day with 12 of the great women of MOJA with a special presentation titled LADIES DAY! You’ll hear the music and comments of Geri Allen, Cassandra Wilson, Regina Carter, Claire Martin, Dianne Reeves, Eliane Elias, Janis Siegel, Jenny Scheinman, Nnenna Freelon, Patricia Barber, Rachel Z, and Renee Rosnes.  Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's LADIES DAY, this Saturday on WORDS & MUSIC.

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.