[JPL] R.I.P. Hayden Carruth

Bill Barton seekandlisten at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:07:07 EDT 2008

Thank you for posting the link to the NY Times obit, Tom.  Sad news.

>From 1977 to 1979 when I was hosting "Jazz Spectrum" on WNCS-FM in
Montpelier, Vermont it was rare that a week went by without a call from
Hayden Carruth (he was living in Johnson at the time.)

His knowledge of and passion for the music always came through loud and
clear.  Sometimes the call would be a request (often for Buddy Tate, one of
his favorites) and other times just to chat or say "thanks" for playing
something that - most likely - he never expected to hear on the radio.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him "face-to-face" but felt like I knew
him after all of those late-night phone calls over a two-year period.  And I
really missed those calls when he moved to Syracuse.

His passion, his compassion, and his eloquent writing will be missed.
R.I.P.

Namaste,
Bill

Bill Barton