[JPL] R.I.P. Hayden Carruth

Tom Reney tr at wfcr.org
Thu Oct 2 17:47:23 EDT 2008

Hey Bill,

Listeners like Carruth make our late nights all the more memorable.  Having
had Ralph Ellison as one of mine will always stand as a career highlight.
Jack Gilbert's a regular these days, ever eager to talk about his Pittsburgh
boyhood friend Dodo Marmarosa.

Carruth's poems and essays read like dispatches from a friend, especially
his writings about jazz.
"Sitting In" is mostly a prose collection, but there's a poem entitled "Ben
Webster" about Ben's mid-40's recording of "After You've Gone" that captures
the jazz experience as well as any verse I've read.  "...He made that old
song/Leap out of itself in greatness, never to belong/To Anyone else.../But
it was music, music. What matters/Was oneness, the abstract made personal in
a tone..."

Tom Reney