[JPL] R.I.P. Hayden Carruth

George Thomas jazz at vpr.net
Thu Oct 2 18:46:31 EDT 2008

Bright Moments Bill,

You had quite an impact on the late Hayden Carruth's listening as he was too
poor to buy the LP's & CDs he enjoyed and did most of his listening
with the radio.

When I interviewed him in 2002 as he toured around Vermont we talked
about you and radio in general. A follow-up to his mention of your
program and several others in a wonderful book collecting his writings
on jazz & other musics: "Sitting in: Selected Writings on Jazz, Blues, and
Related Topics" The book is still in print in paper and well worth a read
to anyone who listens critically to jazz (that would include all of
us).

I'm going to rebroadcast the interview tomorrow night 10/3/08 at 9pm
as part of a jazz tribute to Hayden Carruth.
Listen on line:

www.vpr.net/listen

Here is one of my favorites of his jazz poems. Do read it out loud.

Poem: "The Fantastic Names of Jazz," by Hayden Carruth from Doctor Jazz
(Copper Canyon Press).

    The Fantastic Names of Jazz

    Zoot Sims, Joshua Redman,
    Billie Holiday, Pete Fountain,
    Fate Marable, Ivie Anderson,
    Meade Lux Lewis, Mezz Mezzrow,
    Manzie Johnson, Marcus Roberts,
    Omer Simeon, Miff Mole, Sister
    Rosetta Tharpe, Freddie Slack,
    Thelonious Monk, Charlie Teagarden,
    Max Roach, Paul Celestin, Muggsy
    Spanier, Boomie Richman, Panama
    Francis, Abdullah Ibrahim, Piano
    Red, Champion Jack Dupree,
    Cow Cow Davenport, Shirley Horn,
    Cedar Walton, Sweets Edison,
    Jaki Byard, John Heard, Joy Harjo,
    Pinetop Smith, Tricky Sam
    Nanton, Major Holley, Stuff Smith,
    Bix Beiderbecke, Bunny Berigan,
    Mr. Cleanhead Vinson, Ruby Braff,
    Cootie Williams, Cab Calloway,
    Lockjaw Davis, Chippie Hill,
    And of course Jelly Roll Morton.

Thanks for the all the words Hayden Carruth.

George

Jazz In The Evening with George Thomas
Vermont Public Radio
365 Troy Ave