[JPL] Using Facebook to reach a younger listeners

Derrick Lucas derrick at jazz901.org
Tue Oct 7 18:16:11 EDT 2008

What we have been doing with Facebook for example has been this

We created a page and then ask people to join our "group". Each member in
the group has a "wall" that allows anyone to post messages for all to
see who is doing what or what they will be doing at any given time .

Then to quote Wiki "Facebook users can join one or more networks, organized
by city, workplace, school, and region. These networks help users connect
with members of the same network. Users can also connect with friends,
giving them access to their friends' profiles and can give a "Status" which
allows users to inform their friends of their whereabouts and actions."

So we try to find as many jazz related groups as possible and join them
then promote our station's shows.

All of which is free.

We also create "events" on Facebook and those "events" are seen by anyone
who is a part of your group or is a "friend" of yours

Most folks who are under 30 communicate via a social networking sites such
as Facebook, or instant messaging or text messaging.

For example, my four interns average age is 21, so I have to communicate via
those methods or they don't get the message at all.

So that has been how we have been trying to target a younger audience.

Cheers!
Derrick

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Jackson, Bobby <Bobby.Jackson at ideastream.org