[JPL] just discovered "Halloween" song

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Oct 8 20:34:15 EDT 2008

This afternoon I pulled a Shirley Horn CD I had not played in several years
and found a song on it which I have never played and can't recall hearing
before.

Shirley Horn's Verve release titled "You're My Thrill" from 2001 has Sharing
The Night With The Blues begins with Charles Ables quoting "pray for the
dead" on the bass and setting up a "haunting" sound" that holds throughout
the song including Russell Malone's guitar licks and Shirley singing about
the haunted night.

I don't recall seeing this one mentioned before and I don't have it on my
print out of Halloween songs provided by our own Bobby Jackson and another
list that I have but don't remember where I got it from.

Arturo