[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 9 10:20:34 EDT 2008

Next week on the world’s only Modern Jazz Radio Channel…the home of MOJA!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (13-19 October 2008)

This Monday, October 13th, is a very special happy birthday edition of our feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one Grammy-award winner and master of modern Latin jazz, DAVE SAMUELS who celebrates his birthday on October 9th! During the hour you’ll hear Dave’s solo work, his work with the band Spyro Gyra and of course the music of his award-winning group Caribbean Jazz Project. Plus Dave will give us a look at his tremendous career in his own words. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we wish a very happy birthday to the great DAVE SAMUELS on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific.

Twice this week, join us for MICHEAL WOLFF & IMPURE THOUGHTS LIVE @ JAZZ STANDARD on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll take you to one of New York’s finest jazz joints to hear the great pianist Michael Wolff and his veteran band including percussion greats Airto Morieria and Badal Roy, drummer Mike Clark and bassist John B. Williams groove through a set of Wolff originals as well as classics from Coltrane and Nat Adderley. It’s MICHEAL WOLFF & IMPURE THOUGHTS LIVE @ JAZZ STANDARD on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on this Saturday, October 18th, we'll spend the day in celebration of the beginning of one of Europe’s premier jazz festivals, the 40th edition of the Festival International de Jazz de Barcelona with a special presentation titled JAZZ ESPANA! While Montreux celebrates 43 years next summer, and other jazz festivals in Nice, France, Umbria, Italy, Rotterdam, Holland and elsewhere make Europe a great place to hear jazz, few, if any, have the scope of Barcelona’s 40th Festival that begins on Sunday the 19th and runs for over a month with shows in clubs and grand concert halls.  Listen this Saturday and you’ll hear the music and comments of some of the artists who’ll play this year including one of the first shows by The Five Peace Band featuring Chick Corea & John McLaughlin.  You’ll also hear from new member of the NEA Jazz Masters Club, the great George Benson. Also featured this year in Barcelona will be Herbie Hancock, Patricia Barber, Brad Mehldau, Joshua Redman, Eliane Elias, Nicholas Payton and many more.  Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's JAZZ ESPANA, this Saturday on WORDS & MUSIC.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN” as award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday, October 19th, we’ll we offer you music from 4 new releases on another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz.

Will Bernard…“Blue Plate Special.”
Billy Cobham…“Fruit From The Loom.”
Russell Gunn…“Love Stories.”
Soul Con Timba…“Live @ Bohemian Caverns, Washington, D.C. 2007”

Listen for all this great, new music beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, October 19th, here on Beyond Jazz. It’s another PREMIER SUNDAY.