[JPL] Higher Ground

Blaise Lantana blaise.lantana at riomail.maricopa.edu
Thu Oct 9 21:36:43 EDT 2008

I'm going to do some specials on Wynton's book, using his suggestions from
the book for listening to some of the jazz greats.  Of course much of it we
already play, but just focusing it with some quotes from the book about the
artist and creating shows around the idea of featuring some jazz history and
making it fun should draw more people to the show.  Npr listeners love to
learn about jazz, but only if it is fun and not too pedantic so I think this
will work.  Some of the stories about the artists are great, very inside and
human.

Has anyone else done something like this regarding "Moving to Higher
Ground"?  I know Arturo won't be in on this because the Latin jazz
references are pretty minimal.
I'm also wondering who is promoting the book because I had to buy a copy; no
one contacted me about it.

Whether or not Wynton is your favorite player he has big name recognition,
which is great because most of the BIG name recognition in jazz is for dead
people.
I'm also going to try to set up a facebook page to get people talking about
the book and the artists, and future specials that I create.  Thanks for the
terrific ideas on that.  I'm an old fogey who still just emails, so I needed
that younger demo awareness.

Blaise Lantana
Music Director
http://www.kjzz.org