[JPL] JzFmS4 PLAYLIST WGBH Boston 10/10/2008

Steve Schwartz steve_schwartz at wgbh.org
Sat Oct 11 00:21:42 EDT 2008

Friday, Oct 10, 8pm­midnight, WGBH 89.7

THELONIOUS SPHERE MONK (b. October 10, 1917)

8:00pm
THEME: Horace Parlan Quintet: Wadin', Speakin' My Piece (Blue Note)

8:05pm
Thelonious Monk: Body and Soul, Monk Alone (Columbia)
Earl "Fatha" Hines: Blue Monk, Honor Thy Fatha (Drive Arachive)
Horace Silver: Monkeyin' Around with Monk,
Rockin' With Rachmaninoff (Bop City)

8:24pm
Bobby Watson: Monk He See, Monk He Do, Present Tense (Columbia)
Thelonious Monk: Willow Weep for Me; Carolina Moon; I'll Follow You,
Genius of Modern Music, Volume Two (Blue Note)
Judy Niemack; Mal Waldron: You Know Who (I Mean You),
Mingus, Monk and Mal (Free Lance)

8:47pm
Ellis Marsalis: Jackie-ing, An Open Letter to Thelonious (ELM Records)
Jerry Gonzalez: Ugly Beauty, Rumba Para Monk (Sunnyside)
Anthony Brown; Asian American Orchestra; featuring Steve Lacy: Misterioso,
Monk's Moods (Keeper Records)

9:12pm
Coleman Hawkins; featuring Thelonious Monk: On The Bean,
Bean & The Boys (Prestige)
Charlie Parker; featuring Thelonious Monk: Bloomdido, Bird and Diz (Verve)
Gigi Gryce; featuring Thelonious Monk: Nica's Tempo, Nica's Tempo (Savoy)
Thelonious Monk: Remember, The Complete Riverside Recordings (Riverside)

9:31pm
George Adams; Don Pullen: Thank You Very Much, Mr. Monk,
City Gates (Timeless)
Gerry Mulligan: Good Neighbor Thelonious, Lonesome Boulevard (A&M)
Joan Stiles: Spherical, Love Call (Zoho)

9:53pm
T.S. Monk: Crepuscule With Nellie, Monk on Monk (N2K Music)
Kronos Quartet: Brilliant Corners, Monk Suite (32 Jazz)
Pee Wee Russell: Ask Me Now, Ask Me Now (Impulse)

10:10pm
Thelonious Monk: It Don't Mean A Thing...; I Got it Bad...; Mood Indigo;
Solitude, Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington (Riverside)

10:00pm
John Stetch: Bright Mississippi, Live at Scullers, Boston, 2/8/2007
(ONLY ON 89.7)
Michael Weiss; featuring Junior Cook: Off Minor, Live @ Scullers, Boston,
10/24/1991 (ONLY ON 89.7)
Frank Kimbrough: Coming on The Hudson, Live @ WGBH Fraser Performance
Studio, 1/22/2008 (ONLY ON 89.7)

10:56pm
Mulgrew Miller: Waltz for Monk, Hand in Hand (RCA Novus)
Eric Dolphy: Hat And Beard, Out To Lunch (Blue Note)
Andrew Hill: Monk's Glimpse, Shades (Soul Note)

11:18pm
Thelonious Monk: Suburban Eyes,
Genius of Modern Music, Volume One (Blue Note)
Thelonious Monk: Smoke Gets in Your Eyes, Quintet (Prestige)
Thelonious Monk; Gerry Mulligan: Sweet And Lovely,
Mulligan Meets Monk (Riverside)

11:35pm
Carman McRae: It's Over Now (Well, You Needn't),
Carmen Sings Monk (RCA Bluebird)
Arthur Blythe: Light Blue, Blythe Byte (Savant)
Abbey Lincoln: Blue Monk, Straight Ahead (Candid)

11:53pm
Thelonious Monk: 'Round Midnight, Thelonious Himself (Riverside)

Only on 89.7! performances and recordings are exclusive WGBH Radio
productions and are not commercially available.