[JPL] A-Trane Playlist October 10th 2008 - CFRO Vancouver BC

Nou Dadoun nou.dadoun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 01:31:19 EDT 2008

*A-Trane Playlist October 10th 2008*

No. * Song title * * * Artist *:* Recording * * Label * Instrumental *[MAPL]

1 * Take the A-Train * * * Louis Jordan *:* I Believe In Music * * Evidence
* yes * [----]

2 * Undecided * * * John Coltrane/Red Garland *:* All Morning Long * *Prestige
* yes * [----]
3 * Jordan For President * * * Louis Jordan *:* Let The Good Times Roll -
The Decca Recordings * * Bear Family * no * [----]
4 * Vote Dizzy (Salt Peanuts) * * * Dizzy Gillespie/Jon Hendricks *:* Dizzy
For President * * Knit Classics * no * [----]
5 * Vote For Mr. Rhythm * * * Nikki Yanofsky *:* Ella ... Of Thee I Swing *
* A440 * yes * [-AP-]

6 * Compared to What * * * Les McCann/Eddie Harris *:* Swiss Movement
* *Atlantic/Rhino
* yes * [----]
7 * In The Sticks * * * Javon Jackson/Dr. Lonnie Smith *:* Now * * Palmetto
* yes * [----]
8 * Chief Blackwater * * * Javon Jackson/Dr. Lonnie Smith *:* Now * *Palmetto
* yes * [----]

9 * Yo! Ho Chi Minh is in the House * * * Billy Bang *:* Vietnam the
Aftermath * * Justin Time * yes * [M-P-]
10 * At Play in the Fields of the Lord * * * Billy Bang/Frank Lowe *:* Above
and Beyond: A Night in Grand Rapids * * Justin Time * yes * [M-P-]

11 * Fiza * * * Ravish Momin/Trio Tarana w. Tanya Kalmanovitch *:* Miren (A
Longing) * * Cleanfeed * yes * [MA--]
12 * Peace for Kabul * * * Ravish Momin/Trio Tarana *:* Climbing the Banyan
Tree * * Cleanfeed * yes * [----]
13 * Miren * * * Ravish Momin/Trio Tarana *:* Miren (A Longing) * *Cleanfeed
* yes * [----]

14 * This is It!/Bugs Bunny * * * John Stetch *:* TV Trio * * advance * yes
* [-AP-]
15 * Carpathian Blues * * * John Stetch *:* Carpathian Blues * * Terra Nova
* yes * [MAP-]
16 * Rye Not Wheat! * * * John Stetch *:* Ukrainianism * * Justin Time * yes
* [MAP-]
17 * Star Trek Theme * * * John Stetch *:* TV Trio * * advance * yes *[-AP-]
18 * Pannonica * * * John Stetch *:* Standards * * Justin Time * yes *[-AP-]

19 * Lulu's Back in Town * * * Thelonious Monk *:* It's Monk's Time * * Sony
* yes * [----]
20 * Skippy * * * Scott Amendola/Ben Goldberg/Devin Hoff *:* Plays
Monk * *Long Song
* yes * [----]
21 * Monk's Hat * * * Jessica Williams *:* Nothin' But the Truth *
*BlackHawk/bellaphon
* yes * [----]
22 * Light Blue * * * Jean Derome/Pierre Cartier/Pierre Tanguay *:* Evidence
* * Ambiances Magnetiques * yes * [-AP-]

23 * For a Large and Changing Room * * * Laurie Anderson *:* United States I
* * WB * yes * [----]
24 * Two Songs for Tape Bow Violin: Ethics is the Aesthetics of the
Future/Song for Juanita * * * Laurie Anderson *:* Air Waves * * one ten
records * no * [----]
25 * Is Anybody Home? * * * Laurie Anderson *:* Air Waves * * one ten
records * no * [----]
26 * It's not the bullet that kills you (It's the hole) * * * Laurie
Anderson *:* Air Waves * * one ten records * no * [----]
27 * Mambo and Bling * * * Laurie Anderson *:* 7" single from Homeland
* *Nonesuch
* no * [----]
28 * Kokoku * * * Laurie Anderson *:* Live in Vancouver QET 1984 * * private
* No * [----]

29 * In A Mist * * * Bix Beiderbecke *:* At the Jazz Band Ball * * ASV * yes
* [----]
30 * In A Mist * * * Ry Cooder *:* Jazz * * WB * yes * [----]
31 * In A Mist * * * Dick Hyman *:* Thinking about Bix * * Reference *
yes *[----]

32 * Ballad of El Leo Nora * * * Jerry Granelli V-16 *:* Recorded Live at
the Sonic Temple * * Songlines * yes * [MAP-]

33 * Welcome to the Central/Gotta Serve Somebody * * * Ben Sidran Hammond
Quartet *:* Cien Noches * * Nardis Music * no * [----]

Blues Boy Bill took the Crossroads to Kamloops this week and left me the
mule to ride, with an extra hour to stretch out with. Which was almost
enough ...

Started the show with a nod to the Canadian election this week (Vote early,
vote often!) and Coltrane's tribute to the voter who will choose our next
government. Louis Jordan made his case and Jon Hendricks made the case for
his man Dizzy, but Nikki channeled Ella's correct choice. (We'll be singing
the battle hymn of the republican later in the month for the American
election.)

Slipped in a Happy 91st Birthday tribute set to Monk, but also covered
upcoming shows of which there are quite a number. Javon Jackson with Les
McCann and John Stetch at the Cellar next weekend and this, respectively.
Ironworks shows from Ravish Momin/Trio Tarana this weekend and Billy Bang
and Jerry Granelli in separate shows cover next weekend. Also slipped in
some Jean Derome who is one of the special guests for the NOW Orchestra's
Hear It NOW performance at the Roundhouse on November 7th.

Also, as promised, dug through some of my Laurie Anderson rarities (her
earliest mid-70s recordings and a piece from an unreleased Vancouver show to
her most recent single release) in gleeful anticipation of her performance
piece *Homeland* to be presented at the Centre next Saturday October 18th.
(There's trouble at the mine! Don't wait, get your tix now!)

A few takes on In A Mist and finished with a dedication to Stephen Harper.

Next week, first show of the Autumn Fundraiser and, as has become a
tradition, Trane to Train, taking the A-Trane to the Gospel Train with stops
at the Crossroads and the Claddagh Ring road from 2:30 til 9:30 pm. Here's a
challenge to Vancouver musicians whose music I've played in the last year to
call and take out a membership, operators are standing by ... N

Posted to:
http://vancouverjazz.com/forums
rec.music.bluenote
The Jazz Programmer's List