[JPL] Next week on Beyond Jazz (satellite radio's modern jazz channel)

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 16 10:47:09 EDT 2008

Looks like November 5th is our last day but we’re going out with a bang…or actually a series of small, funky, cool bangs!  Thanks for the support over the years folks!

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (20-26 October 2008)

This Monday, October 20th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of one of the greatest saxophonists of his generation, KENNY GARRETT! We’ll give you a full hour of Kenny’s music and help him celebrate his 48th birthday which happened on October 9th. We’ll hear not only his solo work but also enjoy some of his collaboration with the legendary Miles Davis.  Plus, we’ll also hear Kenny’s own comments that shed light on his brilliant career. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, and this week we’ll put the focus on the great saxophonist and composer KENNY GARRETT on Beyond Jazz.

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific.

Twice this week, join us for FRANK ZAPPA LIVE COAST TO COAST on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week we’ll enjoy an hour of live performances by the master guitarist, composer, and musical visionary that was Frank Zappa in concert from the Roxy in Los Angeles to the Palladium and Fillmore East in New York with a little help from great jazzers like George Duke and Randy & Michael Brecker. It’s FRANK ZAPPA LIVE COAST TO COAST on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on this Saturday, October 25th, we'll spend the day in celebration of one of the great living masters of jazz with a special presentation titled DAVE HOLLAND: PASSING IT ON! The great award-winning bassist, composer and bandleader, Dave Holland, stopped by our studios here at Jazz @ Lincoln Center in New York to talk about his new sextet and their brilliant new release “PASS IT ON,” and during the conversation we covered everything you could imagine from his views of the state of jazz today, his time with Miles Davis, his travels around the world, how he gains inspiration from poetry and nature to write music and how he’s learned his lessons over the years and now want to pass it on.  Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's DAVE HOLLAND: PASSING IT ON, this Saturday on WORDS & MUSIC.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN” as award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.