[JPL] Before & After: Billy Cobham

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 15:46:40 EDT 2008

Rick, Billy simply sounds bitter for whatever reason. Then he goes further in putting down Gretsch drums. I guess Mitch Mitchell, Art Blakey, Vinnie Colaiuta, Tony, Elvin Jones, Art Taylor, Max Roach, Philly Jo Jones and a kzillion others were too musically ignorant to recognize the inferior quality of the Gretsch product. Right.

I love Billy man for the same reasons you do.  Or did. I saw the MO opening for...YIKES...Black Oak Arkansas. Jesus. Well anyway...Billy was killin. The band was killin. I saw Billy in a clinic a few years ago and left. It wasn't the same Billy I saw playing at that level in the early 70's. Not that it should have been but there was this selfish presentation...ironically reflecting the same things he's dissing in this column. There was also an air of he didn't care for what was happening in "jazz" today. Considering that nothing swung or really grooved in his clinic, I can believe him. I don't think he ever really did care that much for straight up jazz. I always felt Billy's approach to swing suspect...even his CTI work with straight ahead concepts but that wasn't his strong point.

He's one of the great innovators in power/fusion drumming...no doubt but I've lost a lot of respect for him as a result of what he said in this Before and After column. Sad and unnecessary really.

Jae Sinnett