[JPL] Legally Playing Jazz Need help in replies.

TomtheJazzman tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:15:11 EDT 2008

I am seeking knowledgeable input or clarification regarding the playing
of Jazz CDs in clubs and restaurants.  I know there are some ASCAP and
BMI restrictions, but don't know them exactly.  I thought knowing this
might be of benefit to all of the JPL members.

Can an establishment play promotional CDs from artists and labels
without violating BMI and ASCAP Regulations?

Can establishments play music they have purchased at retail and they own?

Can establishments record from stations and play that music legally?

Can stations give old promotional CDs to establishments and they play
them legally?

Thanks for your help in understanding this maze.

ALOHA
Tom