[JPL] Soul singer Dee Dee Warwick dies in NJ at age 63

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 20 10:28:12 EDT 2008

Soul singer Dee Dee Warwick dies in NJ at age 63

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. (AP) - Dee Dee Warwick, a soul singer who won
recognition for both her solo work and her performances with her older
sister Dionne Warwick, has died. She was 63.

Warwick died Saturday at a nursing home in Essex County, said Kevin
Sasaki, a family spokesman. She had been in failing health in recent
months, he said, and her sister was with her when she died.

Warwick had several hits on the soul and R&B charts in the 1960s and
70s, including "Foolish Fool," "She Didn't Know (She Kept on Talking)"
and a version of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" that was later covered by
Diana Ross and The Supremes.

Warwick also was a two-time Grammy Award nominee and sang backup for
Aretha Franklin, Wilson Pickett and others before starting her solo
career.

Warwick was the niece of gospel singer Cissy Houston and a cousin of
Whitney Houston.

Born in Newark, Warwick was a teenager when she began singing with her
older sister in the late 1950s. The two performed as The Gospelaires and
also collaborated and sang with the Drinkard Singers, a long-running
gospel group that also featured some of the Warwicks' aunts and uncles
and was managed by their mother.

Most recently, Warwick provided background vocals for her sister's
recent one-woman autobiographical show, "My Music & Me," which played to
sold-out crowds in Europe this year. She also performed on the title
song from Dionne Warwick's gospel album, "Why We Sing," released January
2008.