[JPL] ASCAP and BMI Charges

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 08:21:17 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/20/2008 9:57:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com writes:

<<..It amazes me that these group hassle bars, clubs and such  about paying
fees and now John McCain and some extent Obama campaigns are  using the
same music without paying fees.  Why aren't ASCAP and BMI  going after
the politicians where there is real deep pockets?  Could  it be
politics?..>>

I believe the laws (i.e., ASCAP and BMI restrictions) more clearly apply to
commercial enterprises. Some artists may reject the affiliation of their
music with one campaign or the other, but is that an ASCAP/BMI  issue, one that
either organization oversees?

Ed