[JPL] ASCAP and BMI Charges

John M. Reilly bosstix at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 08:37:52 EDT 2008

Ed,

You hit the nail right on the head! In most instances, ASCAP & BMI license the venues hosting the events not the campaigns themselves.

With regard to the campaigns using music against the wishes of the creators of that music (ie. the McCain campaign using "Still The One" by Orleans or "Barracuda" by Heart), that is not an issue for ASCAP/BMI to undertake. That issue must be handled in the courts.

Regards,

John

John M. Reilly