[JPL] ASCAP and BMI Charges

louisx at verizon.net louisx at verizon.net
Tue Oct 21 11:51:18 EDT 2008

The political campaigns are supposed to seek permission from the writer(s)
and their publisher(s).  If they do not, they are vulnerable in court.  Any
gathering that uses commercial music for promotion has this obligation. The
song is an asset that bolsters a campaign's image, so the creator of the
song must be paid for the work unless they agree to donate it free of
charge. I worked for a music publisher and we went after quite a few
violations of these rules and won.