[JPL] ASCAP and BMI Charges

EdBride at aol.com EdBride at aol.com
Tue Oct 21 12:15:54 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/21/2008 11:51:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
louisx at verizon.net writes:

<<..The political campaigns are supposed to seek permission from  the
writer(s)
and their publisher(s).  If they do not, they are  vulnerable in court.  Any
gathering that uses commercial music for  promotion has this obligation. The
song is an asset that bolsters a  campaign's image, so the creator of the
song must be paid for the work  unless they agree to donate it free of
charge. I worked for a music  publisher and we went after quite a few
violations of these rules and  won..>>

The point of my comments was a response to Tom's (I think) question about
why ASCAP and/or BMI wasn't looking into this; much as it needs attention, I
don't think they are the appropriate agencies to do so.

Ed