[JPL] ASCAP and BMI Charges

Eric Jackson eric-jackson at comcast.net
Tue Oct 21 12:33:30 EDT 2008

J Stein wrote:

> Jae,
>
> I looked Body and Soul up on the ASCAP website and this is what I
> found.  Hope it helps . . .
>
> John

I looked it up on the BMI website and they have 96 listings for Body And
Soul. Can there really be 96 different tunes named Body And Soul?

And Jae, rights like you mentioned can cause headaches. A few years back
I was working on a project and we wanted to use Two Bass Hit in an audio
listening station in a museum. Two people own the rights. One agreed to
terms but the other wanted more money. Because of that, the tune wasn't
used.

Museums have a term that they use and they pay everyone the same fee for
the use of their music. I can't remember the term but basically the
museum I was working with offered everyone the same amount and they
wouldn't negotiate individual deals.

Also, either Warner or EMI, two of the biggest music publishers, gave us
a limit. We could use 10 songs from their catalog at the rate I
mentioned above. It meant I had to select things, keeping in mind that I
could only get 10 things. It changed the selection process.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz