[JPL] Rudy Ray Moore dies at 81; comedian and filmmaker influenced rap and hip-hop

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 21 16:07:36 EDT 2008

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-moore21-2008oct21,0,5052090.sto
ry
>From the Los Angeles Times
Rudy Ray Moore dies at 81; comedian and filmmaker influenced rap and hip-hop
By Jocelyn Y. Stewart

October 21, 2008

Rudy Ray Moore, the self-proclaimed "Godfather of Rap" who influenced
generations of rappers and comedians with his rhyming style, braggadocio and
profanity-laced routines, has died. He was 81.

FOR THE RECORD: The obituary of comedian Rudy Ray Moore that appeared in
Tuesday's California section stated he died in a nursing home in Toledo,
Ohio. In fact he died in a nursing home in Akron, Ohio.

Moore, whose low-budget films were panned by critics in the 1970s but became
cult classics decades later, died Sunday night in Toledo, Ohio, of
complications from diabetes, his brother Gerald told the Associated Press.

Though he was little known to mainstream audiences, Moore had a significant
effect on comedians and hip-hop artists.

"People think of black comedy and think of Eddie Murphy," rap artist Luther
Campbell of 2 Live Crew told the Miami Herald in 1997. "They don't realize
[Moore] was the first, the biggest underground comedian of them all. I
listened to him and patterned myself after him."

And in the liner notes to the 2006 release of the soundtrack to Moore's 1975