[JPL] Fall pledge drive progress?

TomtheJazzman tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com
Wed Oct 22 13:12:42 EDT 2008


Yes, we always mention that you do not have to pledge to have your name 
entered in the drawing; however, you do have to make that call.

Jae Sinnett wrote:
> This week's sponsor:  FRANK DERRICK
>
> To anyone who really listens, it will become immediately apparent that Frank Derrick's 'The Beat Goes On' (Jazzed Media) is an extremely well conceived, arranged, and brilliantly performed CD, marked by an interesting set of compositions that merit very close attention.  It serves as an excellent showcase for Derrick's writing and arranging skills along with his incredible musicianship. The band never stops swinging. Never. The solos are flawlessly paced, and delivered without a hint of waste.  A spirited and inventive big band and quintet that simply doesn't get much better. 
>
> Promotion: Dick LaPalm (310) 472-7246 dlpjazz at thegrid.net 
> and Fred Mancuso (702) 457-8815
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>
>
> Tom, I too have had drawings but as I have been told and as I understand by law...if we are having a drawing...we have to let them know that don't HAVE to pledge to have their name entered for a drawing...on air. At least that's the way it is here. Just saying if you pledge you can be entered into the drawing is illegal for non-commercial criteria. I'm not sure if it's just a Virginia rule but I don't think so. When I have a drawing I have to say.."By law you don't have to pledge to enter" but then I throw that guilt thing in...somewhat playfully..."but come on...it's a fundraiser." Did you know that? Not sure if it's that way there but it's something that a lot of us here didn't know until we were told by officials several years back now. 
>
> Jae Sinnett   
>
>
> --- On Wed, 10/22/08, TomtheJazzman <tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>
>   
>> From: TomtheJazzman <tomthejazzman at embarqmail.com>
>> Subject: [JPL] Fall pledge drive progress?
>> To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>> Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 12:50 PM
>> This week's sponsor:  FRANK DERRICK
>>
>> To anyone who really listens, it will become immediately
>> apparent that Frank Derrick's 'The Beat Goes On'
>> (Jazzed Media) is an extremely well conceived, arranged, and
>> brilliantly performed CD, marked by an interesting set of
>> compositions that merit very close attention.  It serves as
>> an excellent showcase for Derrick's writing and
>> arranging skills along with his incredible musicianship. The
>> band never stops swinging. Never. The solos are flawlessly
>> paced, and delivered without a hint of waste.  A spirited
>> and inventive big band and quintet that simply doesn't
>> get much better. 
>>
>> Promotion: Dick LaPalm (310) 472-7246 dlpjazz at thegrid.net 
>> and Fred Mancuso (702) 457-8815
>>
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>>
>>
>> I have already answered Shaunna off-line but Jae you raise
>> a good point 
>> about thank you gifts.  I have noticed less and less
>> interest in the 
>> thank you gifts and greater emphasis on pledging because of
>> the 
>> programming.  In view of this I have started having a
>> drawing each hour 
>> for a CD-Jazz Six Pack which has created lots of interest. 
>> The sooner 
>> you pledge the more times your name gets in consideration
>> for the 
>> drawing.  I have had winners at the $25 level and also at
>> the $250 level 
>> and it seems to help attract first time pledges.  Once I
>> reach a goal I 
>> stop talking about goals and emphasize support for the
>> programming you 
>> enjoy...not just JAZZ but all programs.  When they are
>> listening is it 
>> always convenient to pledge even if their favorite program
>> is not on at 
>> that moment.
>>
>> Our drive was during the economic turbulence and the
>> congressional votes 
>> on the bailout so we took a real hit on advanced mail in
>> pledges, but 
>> not quite as bad for the on-air portion of the campaign.
>> Best of luck to everyone in their drives.
>> ALOHA
>> Tom
>>
>> Jae Sinnett wrote:
>>     
>>> This week's sponsor:  FRANK DERRICK
>>>
>>> To anyone who really listens, it will become
>>>       
>> immediately apparent that Frank Derrick's 'The Beat
>> Goes On' (Jazzed Media) is an extremely well conceived,
>> arranged, and brilliantly performed CD, marked by an
>> interesting set of compositions that merit very close
>> attention.  It serves as an excellent showcase for
>> Derrick's writing and arranging skills along with his
>> incredible musicianship. The band never stops swinging.
>> Never. The solos are flawlessly paced, and delivered without
>> a hint of waste.  A spirited and inventive big band and
>> quintet that simply doesn't get much better. 
>>     
>>> Promotion: Dick LaPalm (310) 472-7246
>>>       
>> dlpjazz at thegrid.net 
>>     
>>> and Fred Mancuso (702) 457-8815
>>>
>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Shaunna...I'll respond on the list to this because
>>>       
>> it's a profoundly important topic to jazz radio. For us
>> here at WHRV we started the drive this past Saturday. I
>> started pledging for jazz this past Sunday. My Sunday show
>> was up %9 from the first Sunday in the fall 2007 drive and
>> ended the day with $16,000. That's good news. The odd
>> thing is that out of the 74 that pledged that day only 8
>> people wanted CD's for premiums. We had tickets for some
>> shows and only 6 asked for those. The rest simply pledged
>> for programming. I started noticing this two drives ago with
>> the CD's. I had 70 percent of the CD's I started
>> with left over from this past spring drive. We don't
>> have one specific premium that folks are going after.  
>>     
>>> On the down side...I've pledged now for two
>>>       
>> weeknights and I'm down about 8 percent compared to last
>> fall this time. It seems to be tough for the weeknight
>> program. Monday night I was about $1200 short of my goal and
>> last night about $300 but it was a considerably higher goal
>> because of the lost on Monday. With the Sunday totals thrown
>> in I'm about 5 percent ahead at this point from last
>> year. One of the ways I'm compensating for the slow
>> response is putting a little more emphasis on higher pledge
>> amounts. Our basic level is $48 and so far this drive I
>> don't have one basic level pledge...which goes to prove
>> you basically get what you ask for in terms of pledge
>> amounts. My average pledge amount so far stands at about
>> $130. I'm down about 13 percent in number of pledges for
>> weeknights so far but what is saving me are the upper level
>> pledges. 
>>     
>>> There is always the co-relation between number of
>>>       
>> folks pledging and the amount of money you end up with.
>> Example...the alternative music show has a four hour
>> Saturday show...like my four hour Sunday show. He brought in
>> about 100 pledges but made almost $6,000 less for the day
>> then jazz. His average pledge amount is smaller obviously
>> but he has about twice the audience size of the jazz.
>>     
>>> There is an art to fundraising as most programmers
>>>       
>> know. The key for me is how you balance throwing out the
>> guilt with sharing your successes. It's a fine line we
>> walk but if you always make them feel comfy and you always
>> sound like things are just fantastic...you're toast. I
>> know what that sounds like but from my perspective it's
>> true. I learned a while ago...and here's a good
>> example...on one of my Sunday shows my goal was $10,000...to
>> be reached by 5pm that afternoon. We hit the goal at 3:30pm
>> that day. I said we hit the goal and everyone was happy and
>> clapping...etc... but told them to keep the pledges coming.
>> The phones went silent for the remainder of the day. Nothing
>> and this was because we tooted our happy horn once we
>> reached that $10,000 mark. It killed us the rest of the day.
>> It was a good lesson learned for me in the art of
>> fundraising. 
>>     
>>> Jae Sinnett     
>>>
>>>
>>> --- On Wed, 10/22/08, Shaunna Morrison Machosky
>>>       
>> <morrison at wduq.org> wrote:
>>     
>>>   
>>>       
>>>> From: Shaunna Morrison Machosky
>>>>         
>> <morrison at wduq.org>
>>     
>>>> Subject: [JPL] Fall pledge drive progress?
>>>> To: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>>>> Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
>>>> This week's sponsor:  FRANK DERRICK
>>>>
>>>> To anyone who really listens, it will become
>>>>         
>> immediately
>>     
>>>> apparent that Frank Derrick's 'The Beat
>>>>         
>> Goes On'
>>     
>>>> (Jazzed Media) is an extremely well conceived,
>>>>         
>> arranged, and
>>     
>>>> brilliantly performed CD, marked by an interesting
>>>>         
>> set of
>>     
>>>> compositions that merit very close attention.  It
>>>>         
>> serves as
>>     
>>>> an excellent showcase for Derrick's writing
>>>>         
>> and
>>     
>>>> arranging skills along with his incredible
>>>>         
>> musicianship. The
>>     
>>>> band never stops swinging. Never. The solos are
>>>>         
>> flawlessly
>>     
>>>> paced, and delivered without a hint of waste.  A
>>>>         
>> spirited
>>     
>>>> and inventive big band and quintet that simply
>>>>         
>> doesn't
>>     
>>>> get much better. 
>>>>
>>>> Promotion: Dick LaPalm (310) 472-7246
>>>>         
>> dlpjazz at thegrid.net 
>>     
>>>> and Fred Mancuso (702) 457-8815
>>>>
>>>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> I was wondering how Fall pledge drives are going
>>>>         
>> for
>>     
>>>> everyone. Any 
>>>> word you'd like to share, good or not-so-good,
>>>>         
>> is
>>     
>>>> appreciated. Please 
>>>> reply off-list. Thanks!
>>>>
>>>> -Shaunna
>>>>
>>>> -- 
>>>> Shaunna Morrison Machosky
>>>> Music Director
>>>> WDUQ 90.5 FM
>>>> Duquesne University
>>>> Pittsburgh, PA 15282
>>>> 412.396.5922  phone
>>>> 412.396.4879  fax
>>>>
>>>> * please don't print this e-mail unless you
>>>>         
>> really need
>>     
>>>> to*
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> Jazz Programmers' Mailing List:
>>>> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>>>> List information:
>>>>
>>>>         
>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
>>     
>>>> List archive:
>>>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/pipermail/jazzproglist/
>>>> Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com
>>>>     
>>>>         
>>>       
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Jazz Programmers' Mailing List:
>>>       
>> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>>     
>>> List information:
>>>       
>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
>>     
>>> List archive:
>>>       
>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/pipermail/jazzproglist/
>>     
>>> Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com
>>>
>>>       
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>     
>>> No virus found in this incoming message.
>>> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com 
>>> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.2/1739 -
>>>       
>> Release Date: 10/22/2008 7:23 AM
>>     
>>>   
>>>       
>> --
>>
>> Jazz Programmers' Mailing List:
>> jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
>> List information:
>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
>> List archive:
>> http://lists.jazzweek.com/pipermail/jazzproglist/
>> Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com
>>     
>
>
>       
>
> --
>
> Jazz Programmers' Mailing List: jazzproglist at jazzweek.com
> List information: http://lists.jazzweek.com/mailman/listinfo/jazzproglist
> List archive: http://lists.jazzweek.com/pipermail/jazzproglist/
> Sponsorship information: jplsponsor at jazzweek.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com 
> Version: 8.0.175 / Virus Database: 270.8.2/1739 - Release Date: 10/22/2008 7:23 AM
>
>   


More information about the jazzproglist mailing list