[JPL] Fall pledge drive progress?

DPolletta at aol.com DPolletta at aol.com
Wed Oct 22 13:20:02 EDT 2008

In a message dated 10/22/2008 1:11:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jaejazz at yahoo.com writes:

Tom, I  too have had drawings but as I have been told and as I understand by
law...if  we are having a drawing...we have to let them know that don't HAVE
to pledge  to have their name entered for a drawing...on air. At least that's
the way it  is here. Just saying if you pledge you can be entered into the
drawing is  illegal for non-commercial criteria. I'm not sure if it's just a
Virginia rule  but I don't think so. When I have a drawing I have to say.."By law
you don't  have to pledge to enter" but then I throw that guilt thing
in...somewhat  playfully..."but come on...it's a fundraiser." Did you know that? Not
sure if  it's that way there but it's something that a lot of us here didn't
know until  we were told by officials several years back now>

Jae,

that one has been bandied about for awhile. I have had people on our  staff
tell me both things.

 I was under the impression that as long as you didn't say "You have  to
pledge to be entered," it was ok not to tell people that even those who  didn't
pledge were also eligible for the drawing.

We usually say "when you pledge, you are entered," not "if you  pledge..."

That may be the way around it. If I find out more, I'll pass it  on.

Dan Polletta
WCPN-FM