[JPL] Preservation Hall debuts Œ Village ¹

Jazz Promo Services jazzpromo at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 07:46:10 EDT 2008

http://tigerweekly.com/article/10-22-2008/9533

Preservation Hall debuts ŒVillage¹
Voodoo 2008

[Comment Below]
By Jason Andreasen

When you talk about the cultural and historical identity of New Orleans,
nothing comes before jazz. There are plenty of folks who talk a good bit
about the importance of New Orleans jazz and the need to keep that tradition
alive; however, there are few who have done as much for as long as The
Preservation Hall Jazz Band has to breathe new life and awareness into the
city¹s musical heritage.

Since the 1961 founding of Preservation Hall, the unmistakable French
Quarter venue, by Allan and Sandra Jaffe, jazz has always had a place to
call home in the Crescent City. The Preservation Hall Jazz Band has been
touring since 1963, enlightening many on the unique sounds jazz makes when
it comes from New Orleans. Nowadays, the son of the Jaffes, Ben, serves as
both the venue¹s Creative Director and as the bassist and tuba player for
the band.

The critically acclaimed Preservation Hall Tent was introduced to
Voodoo-goers in 2006, but as Jaffe explained while preparing for the
festival, this year they¹re introducing the Preservation Hall Village.

³This year we¹re expanding the blueprint. We found last year that we
couldn¹t accommodate all the people that wanted to get in. We¹ve expanded
the tent. We¹ve included an art pavilion, food booths and some local vendors
as well. It¹s all built around a common area that we call the Œcourtyard.¹
We¹re creating an area like the French Quarter, where people can come and
hang out.²

Jaffe continued, ³It¹s the quintessential New Orleans experience. It¹s the
idea of coming to one area to hear great music, get great food and see great
art.²

The Village is basically the reincarnation of the spirit of the New Orleans
neighborhood inside Voodoo¹s confines. There will be a lounge, The Red
Lantern Emporium (a French Quarter boutique), the 3 Ring Circus Art Gallery
and the award-winning Banana Nut Bread Pudding of Ms. Linda ³The Ya Ka Mein
Lady.² Sadly, there will also be one glaring absence; that of John Brunios,
the band¹s trumpeter, who passed away in February.

The music of the Village, however, is what you¹ll come and stay for. With
New Orleans royalty such as Irma Thomas, Deacon John, Marva Wright and
Walter ³Wolfman² Washington, this is the place for anyone looking to hear
New Orleans¹ heritage represented in the flesh.

³One of the main reasons we got involved with Voodoo in the first place was
to broaden Preservation Hall¹s audience and bring attention to [New Orleans
jazz]. We wanted to make sure that this art form is perpetuated and there is
no other way to ensure it,² explained Jaffe. ³You can tell people that it¹s
important, but until they come to that conclusion on their own, there¹s
really no use. I¹ve always found that the best way for anybody to have
appreciation for something is through experience.²

³One would expect that Voodoo would be an unlikely place to have that
musical experience but in my mind, it¹s the perfect place to have this New
Orleans experience,² he added. ³Voodoo has always been a rock-and-roll,
national event, but it¹s always had a strong New Orleans identity to it and
that¹s something we continue to build upon.²

Jaffe also explained that you should be on the look out for two things in
particular. One, the collaboration between the Village and The New Orleans
Bingo! Parlour on Saturday when they present a second line parade unlike any
other. Second, the Preservation Hall Jazz Band¹s Sunday performance on the
WWOZ stage with The Blind Boys of Alabama.