[JPL] Next week on satellite radio's Beyond Jazz

davispro at nyc.rr.com davispro at nyc.rr.com
Thu Oct 23 09:55:29 EDT 2008

They powers that be have given us until November 14th to work our magic so it's another week of chills, thrills & spills in our Brave, Cool World!  As my Grandma used to say when the biscuits were ready…”C’mon in the house!”

Russ Davis
Program Director
Beyond Jazz
33 West 60th Street
10th Floor
New York, NY 10023
russ.davis at xmradio.com

XM 72…BEYOND JAZZ/WEEKLY FEATURES   (27 October-2 November 2008)

This Monday, October 27th, we’ll present another edition of our special feature…MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS on Beyond Jazz featuring an hour of the music of the great musical visionary, FRANK ZAPPA. You’ll get the mojo behind the music from two jazz greats who worked with Zappa, Jean-Luc Ponty & George Duke and you’ll hear Zappa’s unique vision of modern jazz from the great composer, guitarist, bandleader and innovator who carved out his own special place in music history. Listen for MONDAY WITH THE MASTERS every Monday at Noon Eastern/9 AM Pacific, with a replay Monday nights at 9 PM Eastern/8 PM Pacific, and this week it’s FRANK ZAPPA!

This week enjoy another edition of our show JAMMIN’ JAZZ…JAZZ FOR THE NEW GENERATION! hosted by Michelle Sammartino...an hour of jamband jazz, acid jazz, brass band, swamp boogie, funk influenced, booty movin' tunes. Listen for JAMMIN’ JAZZ three times each week…Tuesday night at 9P Eastern-6P Pacific, Thursday morning at 9A/Eastern-6A Pacific, and Sunday at 7P/Eastern-4P Pacific.

Twice this week, join us for CHICK COREA LIVE IN BARCELONA on LIVE @ BJ'S! Every Wednesday night at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific and Sunday at 8 PM Eastern/5 PM Pacific you can spend an hour in the world's only imaginary modern jazz club, BJ's, for rare live performances by the biggest stars of Modern Jazz.  You'll hear music you can't hear anywhere but on XM, and this week, while the 40th edition of the Festival Internacional de Jazz de Barcelona is going on, we’ll take you to that beautiful city in Spain to hear legendary keyboardist CHICK COREA joined by his band TOUCHSTONE comprised of virtuoso flamenco/jazz players from all over the world.  Listen as they bring to life the magical music of Chick’s chart-topping 2006 release “The Ultimate Adventure” in front of a roaring crowd in the country that has long been a place of personal inspiration for Chick.   It’s CHICK COREA LIVE IN BARCELONA on this week’s addition of LIVE @ BJ'S!

Every Friday we present an exclusive Beyond Jazz feature that focuses on the moment in jazz history when the music became electric and all the musical influences of the world blended with jazz to create the Fusion Era. Beginning at 7 AM Eastern/4 AM Pacific until midnight Eastern/9 PM Pacific we’ll begin each hour with a classic fusion piece and give you the mojo behind this controversial era in jazz history. Some say fusion ruined jazz, while others say it saved the music.  You know how we feel, so listen and make up your own mind. IF IT’S FRIDAY, THIS MUST BE FUSION on XM 72, BEYOND JAZZ.

Every Saturday is a chance to get to know the stars of Modern Jazz a little better with WORDS & MUSIC on BEYOND JAZZ, and on this Saturday, November 1st , we'll look back at 7 years of wonderful conversations with great artists with a special presentation titled THE BEST OF WORDS & MUSIC! Since Beyond Jazz began operation in 2001, Russ Davis has spoken with the greats of Modern Jazz and now it’s time to look back on those conversations and pick out his favorite moments to share with you all through the day.  You’ll hear those rare WOW moments with Joe Zawinul, Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John Scofield and many more.  Interview segments followed by music air each hour beginning at Noon and lasting through Midnight Eastern time (9 AM-9 PM Pacific). It's THE BEST OF WORDS & MUSIC, this Saturday on WORDS & MUSIC.

This weekend Beyond Jazz presents another edition of "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN” as award-winning presenter, producer and writer Mark Ruffin covers the many aspects of the world of modern jazz from his perspective.  Listen twice each weekend for THE MOJA REPORT, Saturday mornings at 11 AM Eastern/8 AM Pacific, just before Words & Music begins, and Sunday nights at 9 PM Eastern/6 PM Pacific, part of the Sunday Specials. It’s "THE MOJA REPORT with MARK RUFFIN.”

Every Sunday it’s the EMAIL REPLY HOUR…from 6-7 PM Eastern/3-4 PM Pacific, Russ Davis spends an hour responding to email messages by playing requested songs, answering listener questions and reading listener comments that have been emailed to him at beyondjazz at xmradio.com.

PREMIER SUNDAY on Beyond Jazz…XM 72
This Sunday, November 2nd, we’ll serve up more great, new music on another PREMIER SUNDAY here on Beyond Jazz as we offer you music from 4 new releases.

K.J. Denhert…“Dal Vivo A Umbria Jazz.”
New York Electric Piano…“King Mystery.”
Jimmy Herring…“Lifeboat.”
Amina Figarova…“Above The Clouds”

So listen for all this great, new music beginning at 5 PM Eastern time, that’s 2 PM Pacific, this Sunday, November 2nd, here on Beyond Jazz. It’s another PREMIER SUNDAY.