[JPL] Fwd: urgent/jazz coverage in the LA Times/please read and PASS it on to all interested

onthebeach at aol.com onthebeach at aol.com
Mon Oct 27 15:11:27 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: rickyschultz2 at aol.com
To: russ.stanton at latimes.com
Sent: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:06 pm
Subject: urgent/jazz coverage in the LA Times/please read and PASS it on to all interested

I just learned from a dear friend in our Los
Angeles Jazz community that? the Los Angeles Times,
quietly ended jazz coverage from the pages of its entertainment
section, Calendar, as part of recent "budget cuts." That means no more
reviews, previews, feature stories, or even listings of shows/events.

Is this true??? Why would the Times eliminate coverage of what is generally regarded as "America's one true art form"? What other music forms have been iced?

have read the Times for over 30 years. However, I'm not sure that I - in
good conscience - could continue supporting a publication that turns
its back on my first favorite music... Los Angeles is a city too rich
in jazz history and people still contributing to the artform for this
music to be cut off from coverage in our major city paper.

I respectfully urge you to reconsider this position.? Los Angeles is second only to New York as a place where jazz artists live and work. The coverage, reviews and stories and listings that have been a part of the Calender section? provided much needed coverage and credibility for something important and worthwhile in our community.

thank you

ricky schultz

www.jazzconsultant.com

www.ResonanceRecords.org

McCain or Obama? Stay updated on coverage of the Presidential race while you browse - Download Now!