[JPL] Los Angeles Times Kills Jazz Coverage** :<(

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Mon Oct 27 16:23:11 EDT 2008

>From a jazz fan pal of mine in So Cal who received this e-mail as part of a
blast......

I just learned from a dear friend in our Los Angeles Jazz community that our
local newspaper, the Los Angeles Times, quietly ended jazz coverage from the
pages of its entertainment section, Calendar, as part of recent "budget
cuts." That means no more reviews, previews, feature stories, or even
listings of shows/events.
I grew up reading the Times at home and when I moved, faithfully
resubscribed to it in my own abode. However, I'm not sure that I - in good
conscience - could continue supporting a publication that turns its back on
my first favorite music... Los Angeles is a city too rich in jazz history
and people still contributing to the artform for this music to be cut off
from coverage in our major city paper.

If you feel as strongly as I do that we - as afficionados, educators and/or
creators of jazz music - should have representation in our city's major news
publication, the Los Angeles Times, please make your voice heard by writing
a polite but passionate piece to Editor Russ Stanton at the address below:

russ.stanton at latimes.com

Thank you for your urgent concern and consideration.

- A. Scott Galloway

Music Editor asgbeat at ca.rr.com

Urban Network