[JPL] featuring CDs

Eric Hines EHines at message.nmc.edu
Tue Oct 28 12:46:00 EDT 2008

Huh. That's interesting (and a whole lot more reasonable). I've seen
legal opinions, though, that say broadcast stations have to comply with
the restrictions.

Though, I agree that Sound Exchange, etc, probably have better things
to do than enforce the rules against jazz stations,

--eric

Eric Hines
General Manager
WNMC 90.7 FM
http://www.wnmc.org ( http://www.wnmc.org/ )
1701 East Front St.
Traverse City, MI 49686
231-995-2562

Support WNMC’s on-air fundraiser ( https://secure.nmc.edu/wnmc/ )

>>> Eric Jackson <eric-jackson at comcast.net> 10/28/2008 12:35 PM >>>
This week's sponsor:  MACK AVENUE

Throughout his illustrious career,
saxophonist/multi-instrumentalist/composer Kenny Garrett has accumulated
multiple Grammy(R) nominations, countless collaborations, and a long
list of accolades from his peers. With SKETCHES OF MD, Garrett adds
several historic firsts to his resume:  the first live recording of the
Kenny Garrett/Pharoah Sanders pairing, Garrett's first recorded set at
New York City's famed Iridium Jazz Club, and his first release on Mack
Avenue. In addition to Sanders, Garrett is joined on stage by Nat Reeves
on bass, Benito Gonzalez on keys and Jamire Williams on drums.

http://www.mackavenue.com/mediaserve/ecards/kennygarrett/

Mack Avenue is also proud to announce the signing of Grammy(R)
Award-winning acoustic and electric bassist Christian McBride.  McBride,
who will celebrate his 20th year in the industry in 2009, has several
projects in the works for the Detroit based label, which will be
unveiled in the upcoming year.

For more information, please contact GROOV Marketing and Consulting

877-476-6832

Mark Rini x 1

mark at groovmarketing.com

Josh Ellman x 2

josh at groovmarketing.com

http://www.groovmarketing.com ( http://www.groovmarketing.com/ )

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Mark Zaborney wrote:

> Haven't seen any advice offered to Hans Ahlstrom's post from the
other
> day (see below). I'm curious, too. I'll ask another way. We webstream

> and so are told to hew to the rules -- including prohibitions on
playing
> more than three consecutive or four total tracks from an artist or a

> compilation in any three-hour period. So when I see such playlists on

> jpl as "Two hours of the many moods of Ish Kabibble" (to give a
> ridiculous example) from stations that stream, I wonder: How do they
do
> that? Same when I read after a notable person's death the posts
saying,
> "I'll devote my entire show tonight to so-and-so." How do you do it
--
> and how might Hans (and I) do it? Many thanks.
> Mark Zaborney
> WBGU, 88.1FM
> Bowling Green, Ohio

I think at WGBH the feeling was that the issue you mentioned applied to

streams and not to our regular broadcast.

We have an HD classical station and it streams 24/7. I was at a meeting

when someone asked why we couldn't have a 24/7 jazz stream. One of the

things that was said was that if we just had a jazz stream, it would be

subject to the rules you mentioned above since it was not being
broadcast simultaneously. I think the feeling is that if we broadcast
and stream, we can do those things you mentioned. If we were just
streaming we would have to obey the rules you mentioned. That's the way

it was explained to me.

Eric Jackson
Mon - Thurs 8 pm - mid.
89.7 FM WGBH Boston
www.wgbh.org/jazz

>> Hi all,
>>
>> we air a weekly 'featured CD' program and are kind of frustrated by
the
>> limitations on how many cuts per CD per hour (or three hours) we can

>> play.
>> Does anyone else run into this problem, and how do you deal with it?
>> don't
>> know of any quick, minimally time consuming way to contact either
>> labels or
>> artists for permission to air more than the rules permit.
>>
>> And of course, my general manager isn't interested when I tell him a

>> couple
>> of folks have said to ignore the rules, play what you want.
>>
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Hans
>>

>> Hans Ahlstrom