[JPL] JazzTimes and Downbeat

Dr. Jazz drjazz at drjazz.com
Tue Oct 28 13:23:18 EDT 2008

I previously posted an off-the-wall piece from a blogger bitching about
jazz magazines.  My sole reason for posting such an off-base article was
to generate what I thought would be a multitude of contrary responses.
That has not happened.

I ABSOLUTELY DISAGREE with the blogger's contention that JazzTimes and
Downbeat are "bad for jazz".  If it were not for publications like
JazzTimes, Downbeat, and Jazziz, where would our jazz community be these
days?  As with radio, they are a seminal part of the exposure of our
great music to the public.  With all that has happened to our community
in the last year (IAJE, the previously discussed changes at LA Times,
etc) I am continually buoyed by the excellence of these publications.
They are my monthly source of jazz knowledge.

-Dr.

--
Dr. Jazz
Dr. Jazz Operations