[JPL] Response to posting of blog about jazz magazines

McWilliams, Robert C radiobob at ku.edu
Tue Oct 28 14:27:23 EDT 2008

I thnik Lee makes a number of good points; especially the level of quality of today's downbeat and jazztimes versus, say, downbeat, metronome etc in the past. During graduate school, for some research I was doing, I read virtually every issue of downbeat, and most of most other jazz periodicals from WW2 through the mid 70s. The level of writing, editing, reviewing is, for the most part, consistently higher in both today's downbeat and jazztimes.  I have quibbles (and sometimes stronger reactions) to some of the reviewing, but that is par for the course in anything so subjective.

Bob McWilliams
Kansas Public Radio