[JPL] Response to posting of blog about jazz magazines

louisx at verizon.net louisx at verizon.net
Tue Oct 28 14:49:14 EDT 2008

The only thing that can be "bad for jazz" is if new musicians stop playing
it. All the rest is exterior noise. I agree with the saying that writing
about music is like dancing about architecture, but I love reading jazz
magazines, listening to jazz radio, interviewing jazz musicians.   However,
in the end it's the music that counts, and any number of bad magazines and
radio stations will not kill the music. I will say this: The writers and
editors of the larger modern jazz magazines need to get out to the small
clubs more often. There IS less coverage of great music played by young
musicians in out-of-the-way dives, which is where the good things happen.
That being said, this blogger obviously needs to get a life.