[JPL] Response to posting of blog about jazz magazines

Jae Sinnett jaejazz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 14:56:09 EDT 2008

Lee...a couple of things. Firstly, no need to defend the magazine here because most on the list I'm sure recognize the profound impact JT has on jazz...in the positive. Secondly, the blog to me reflects a sickening layer of cynicism that is so pervasive in the industry.

Outside of the music itself much of the peripheral elements of jazz actually hurt the music. Look at the fallout from the Burns doc..."Jazz." There was downright hatred coming from people. With the circles as small as they are the good and the not so resonates more loudly and these expressions transcend this small circle of jazz. Those on the outside hear and at times read these things. Considering most of us here would like to see a bigger support system for the music these kind of dark and unecessarily cynical splats...that offer no positive and constructive alternatives to the gripe...keeps those on the fence reluctant of jumping into that jazz circle. It's just amazing to me how often
 those that do have an appreciation...albeit narrow...continue to shoot jazz in the foot.

A closing suggestion...I think the magazine should offer a couple times per year a talent deserving wider recognition cover. There are many and I don't think it would affect negatively your sales, concept or perception...only enhance. My two cents.

Jae Sinnett