[JPL] JazzTimes and Downbeat

David Johnson djohnso2001 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 18:04:06 EDT 2008

Dr. Jazz,

I wrote something about the PREX post earlier today for the Night Lights site:

http://nightlights.blogs.wfiu.org/jazz-magazines-bad-for-jazz/

BTW, completely agree (and say it in the post) that much 1950s/60s DB writing was not-so-great.  The IU School of Music library, which has an incredible repository of jazz journals, has bound volumes of DB on the shelf that I regularly peruse, and while you'll find the legends there, you'll also find a fair amount of copy that wouldn't see the light of print these days.

David Brent Johnson
WFIU-Bloomington, IN