[JPL] Stan Getz and the economy

laffinred at aol.com laffinred at aol.com
Tue Oct 28 22:08:42 EDT 2008

FYI..........

 The daily Stockholm newspaper Dagens Nyheter Oct 14 2008 edition, concluded that Stan Getz was  partly to blame for the financial crisis now plaguing the world. The  reason: After an article in the New York Times
 "Taking a hard new look at a Greenspan legacy"

 athttp://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/09/business/economy/09greenspan.
html

 The Swedish paper concluded that things might have been different
had Greenspan pursued a musical career.

  Turning to music and baseball

 ALAN GREENSPAN: Then, I decided that baseball was my thing. And I
was actually getting very good, but at the age of 14, I hit a
plateau and I never improved.

 JIM LEHRER: You were a left-hander, first baseman, right?

 ALAN GREENSPAN: I was a left-handed first baseman. I hit the ball
pretty well. Then, I got into music, and I became a professional
musician for a couple of years.

 JIM LEHRER: Played the clarinet...

 ALAN GREENSPAN: Clarinet, saxophone, flute, bass clarinet.

 JIM LEHRER: Which one did you enjoy the most?

 ALAN GREENSPAN: I actually enjoyed the clarinet the best, but I was
a fairly good amateur, but a moderate professional. But what really
did me in is I had, as an amateur, had to play next to Stan Getz. I
was 16; he was 15. I decided, "Do I really want to be in this
business?"

 JIM LEHRER: Why, because he was so good?

 ALAN GREENSPAN: Oh, my god.

 JIM LEHRER: Was he really good?

 ALAN GREENSPAN: And he was one of the really historic famous sax
players. And the best economic decision I ever made in my life was
to decide to leave the music business and go into economics.