[JPL] More on the infamous blogger and magazines...

Bill Barton seekandlisten at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 05:11:39 EDT 2008

I didn't find the piece quite as vitriolic as some did.  Despite the fact
that it was a bit over the top there were some good points made.  The one
about feature articles sometimes being (barely) rewritten press releases is
nothing new.  That's been going on for years.  It might not be noticeable to
a reader who never saw the press releases.

Of course the "slick" magazines are important to the health of jazz.  And of
course they aren't "bad for jazz" per se.  I don't agree with that assertion
at all.  But I do think that alternative magazines that are not beholding to
corporate interests and don't tie journalism to advertising dollars play an
important role.