[JPL] More on the infamous blogger and magazines...

MICHAEL P STRATTON dreamtrane at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 29 08:00:20 EDT 2008

As a teenager I was introduced to jazz writing through Rolling Stone magazine, which occasionally reviewed a Miles Davis or Weather Report LP. I think it was Ralph Gleason. Then I had a rock concert triple album that featured Miles Davis on one side. I thought, "What the hell is this?"

I went to our local library and searched out issues of Downbeat to try and get my head around what this music was. Maybe I'm a geek, no, for sure I am, but that was what introduced me to so much jazz and helped me start to understand and appreciate the music.

I've read Downbeat continuously since those days and have held a subscription for many years. I read Jazz Times at the studio (until recently, they had a subscription for the magazine but I think they just let it lapse) and picked up Jazziz last night at a book store. I still learn a lot about new music, artists and releases from these magazines, and still make several purchases a month based on reviews and articles.

I, too, wish the blogger had signed his or her work. I can grouse with the best of them, long for the good old days (which, we always forget, were bad in their own ways). But I haven't felt the kind of disgust the blogger described.

Mike Stratton