[JPL] About Bobby Robinson

Arturo Gomez arturo at kuvo.org
Wed Oct 29 13:57:49 EDT 2008

Besides the aforementioned Fire & Fury Records connection of Bobby Robinson
by my colleague David K, Bobby Robinson owned the Enjoy label which was the
second record label to record the then new genre of hip hop. Curiously Sugar
Hill Records which was the first label to issue a hip hop recording was
owned by another Robinson, Sylvia-no relation. Enjoy had recorded the
seminal and true hip hop crew, Grandmater Flash & the Furious Five, the
Sugarhill Gang was a studio group that "borrowed" the rhymes of the seminal
Cold Crush Crew for Rapper's Delight. When that song hit the airwaves in
1980 hip hoppers who had been  listening to those rhyhmes for several years
in clubs, parks and casette tapes weren't surprised with the sound, they
just aksed themeselves "who the heck is the Sugar Hill Gang?"

Enjoy Records was run out of Bobby's legendary record shop on 125th St in
Harlem USA that I frequented whenever in NYC in the 70s and 80s.

Arturo